<

Friday, January 9

squam art workshops 2009*


christine, swirly and kelly rae at squam 2008, canon digital rebel xti

Last year, I shared the life altering experience I had at Squam both here and here. Since, I am still evolving and growing and moving forward with so much of what I learned about myself, my dear friends and the new lasting friendships I made there. One of my dearies called it a "Soul Picnic" and how perfect of a description that is.

Well, it's happening again folks and this time TWICE...both in June and September of 2009. I am hoping to somehow make it work that I can be there in the Fall because I cannot for the life of me imagine missing out on the absolute juicy goodness that is this magical place. Not only is it peaceful and gorgeous and nature at its best...but to be surrounded by such soulful, loving, accepting, unique women (and a few brave men) in one place just rocked my world.

My dear friend, Elizabeth...the Queen of and Creator of Squam, wrote this letter on the Squam blog and I wanted to share it here with hopes that you too will be inspired to partake in the next Soul Picnic of a Lifetime if you're able::


{preview of documentary "Who Does She Think She Is?"}

Okay, trumpets please, the first big announcement of 2009 is that we will be showing the film "Who Does She Think She Is?" at both the June and September sessions.

Woot.

But wait, it gets better. Director Pamela Tanner Boll will also be on hand at the September screening to discuss the film and to answer your questions.
And, she will be with us for the whole weekend and taking classes, too.

If you are not familiar with the film, it was made by the same producing team that won an Academy Award for Born Into Brothels.

"Who Does She Think She Is?" examines some of the most pressing issues of our time: parenting and work, partnering and independence, economics and art. The film follows five women artists as they navigate the economic, psychological, and spiritual challenges of making work outside the elite art world.

Here's what some of our country's leading newspapers had to say about the film:

from The New York Times: "Calmly directed by Pamela Tanner Boll, "Who Does She Think She Is?" is about answering the call to self-expression in the face of biological imperatives and cultural programming." (October 17, 2008)

from The New York Times: "The new film, "Who Does She Think She Is?," provides a nuanced look at the sacrifices and challenges facing female artists who become mothers." (October 14, 2008)

from The Wall Street Journal: "Why are there so many women in art school, but a tiny percentage represented in major galleries? Why does a woman have to choose between having a family and practicing her art? What are some of the hurdles that women face in the art world? These are a few of the questions filmmaker Pamela Tanner Boll tackles in her new documentary, "Who Does She Think She Is?" (October 17, 2008)

Needless to say, I am chuffed and thrilled and honored that this will be available to you at SAW this year.

Bisous, Elizabeth

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Thank you sooooo much for posting this today, now, Right This Second. !!!

I've been squeemishing on squam, wondering if i should go..... and popping over here for a second has given me an answer. :)

woot!!

January 9, 2009 at 1:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger lisa said...

OK, how weird is this: I was thinking about Squam just an hour ago while driving home. I think it sounds like a great experience! And I think I have ESP. :)

January 9, 2009 at 1:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

I have never heard of it before, I will definitely look Squam after reading your post! found your blog through... hm, can't remember, another blog. but it's great! I am also in socal, so hello neighbor :)

January 9, 2009 at 1:58:00 PM PST  
Blogger jenica said...

i can't wait to go back.
nine freakin' months though?
yeesh.

xoxo

January 9, 2009 at 2:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Elizabeth MacCrellish said...

you're a love! thanks for sharing the news-- bisous, Eliabeth

January 9, 2009 at 2:57:00 PM PST  
Blogger gem said...

boho girl*
i am delighted! ecstatic! i will be attending in september. and, to think you may be there, too! brilliant bliss...
xo,
gem

January 9, 2009 at 4:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger Stacy said...

i'm so excited for it all. my soul is smiling...
xo

January 9, 2009 at 4:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lisa said...

I hope, so badly, I can go...

January 11, 2009 at 9:07:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home